A Joneser's rants and riffs, ideas and trends, musings and innovations - all for your perusal and reuse. Steal it. Use it. Tell others.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

An Artist's Spark

Maybe what makes artists different is their ability to keep alive and visible to the world the spark that fires their soul, and the light that shines from it becomes their work.

I was musing on this as I left a meeting, and reflected on the things I left unsaid, the thoughts and feelings I had that remain unheard. They were sentiments that came straight from the flame in my soul. Why couldn't I let them out? What prevented me from giving them their due? That's simple: politics and business sense.

Having just been beat up for being a bit too real with my colleagues, I found myself editing my thoughts, even ones that seemed to me quite relevant.

And so perhaps this is the deal we all make - we keep the spark hidden, and the glow of our soul never sees the light of day, never shines for others to see. And at some point, for many folks, I suppose, it just sort of dies out.

So the challenge is, to keep the spark alive, to keep the flame aglowing, and to let that fire my passions and vision without leading to my destruction.

No comments: